5. AR game
Develop a captivating fun / scary / thrilling / challenging /mystifying/educational etc. AR game.
Guidelines / Rules
GAME CONCEPT RELATED RULES
This category has few rules, because we want the developer/s to have a great deal of freedom.
We accept almost all sorts of game worlds and concepts: sci-fi, abstract ideas, racing, puzzles, quests, mysteries etc. The game can be story/character driven, or abstract graphics, a puzzle etc. It can be short and contained, or more extensive.
HOWEVER, THESE 6 SIMPLE RULES ARE ABSOLUTE:
1. The player must be able to play the game in a room/house/garden. The game cannot involve traveling great distances.
2. No physical or psychological violence between humans is allowed, or violations of human rights, e.g. racism, sexism etc.
NOTE: If your character is human, then naturally that character can suffer injuries and death. However, we do not want to see any gratuitous violence, e.g. Mortal Combat fatalities. Also, normal heated verbal arguments are not considered psychological violence.
3. Rule number 1 also applies to very humanoid beings, like elves, human-like aliens etc., nor is unwarranted animal cruelty allowed.
NOTE: Fighting a pack of wolves, or slaying dragons, tentacle-monsters, werewolves, zombies, alien beasts etc, are examples of what is definitely allowed.
4. Excessive cursing or offensive language is not allowed; neither are offensive symbols, e.g. a swastika.
5. No sexual content or human (or humanoid) nudity. We are sure you understand what we mean.
NOTE: Romance (a kiss and hug) is fine. Characters in skimpy outfits are allowed… within reason.
6. No game concepts with immoral themes are allowed, e.g. playing a drug lord, leading a criminal enterprise, or having the goal to destroy the planet, polluting nature etc.
NOTE: Naturally, an antagonist in the game can have immoral goals, like world dominion.
That’s it! Those are the only game design rules. Otherwise, any type of AR game concept is welcome!
If you wonder about any of the rules, just contact us. We will be happy to answer any questions.
ADMINISTRATIVE & TECHNICAL RULES
- The complete game must be made easily available to the jury through a stable link for downloading. NOTE: For an iOS/Apple project, provide a TestFlight link to share the app.
- One of the following storage services must be used: Dropbox, The Box, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive.
- The link, provided by the participant, shall provide access to a downloadable folder named after the contest category. If multiple projects, then a separate folder for each project. The folder/s must contain:
- The total project ready to run on the recommended platform.
- If not presented in the game, a game manual must be provided in PDF or Word format.
- A text file (PDF or Word) with contact information. If a team, then the names of all team members must be listed.
- The text file must also clearly state the title of the AR game (a short reasonably title is preferable).
- The participant must state the recommended AR equipment to use and ensure that it runs smoothly on the device.
One of the following AR equipment must be used:
– Android: An ARCore capable phone. – We will be using a Samsung Galaxy S8.
– iOS: ARKit, RealityKit etc. – The app must be able to run on an iPad Pro, Model A1709.
NOTE: Useful links regarding technical aspects can be found at: DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES
- It is the participant’s sole responsibility to ensure that nothing in the finished product (or any step in the creation process, use of software, etc.) violates copyright or licensing laws in any way. The rights to all materials (including, if applicable, the involvement of people) must be owned by the participant and be guaranteed free to use and publish.
For more important contest info, read: CONTEST INFO
The jury’s judging criteria
(Choice of technical platform will not affect the jury’s assessment).
Reality-blending and its effectiveness
How well do the augmented reality objects integrate in the real surroundings?
Innovative and creative approach
Originality, concept, design, game/world-building, the use of the possibilities/advantages of the AR media; and if applicable, story and characters.
Interaction and feedback
How intuitive is the interaction? How original is its use? How motivated and naturally integrated into the game is the interaction and feedback?
Overall gaming experience and technical expertise
How is the overall gaming experience, emotions evoked? How well do all aspects of the game work together: sights, sounds, interaction, feedback and events? How well executed is the complete game technically?
Deadlines & Registration fees:
Early Deadline - TBA
Regular Deadline - TBA
Final Deadline - TBA
It is possible to participate in the contest as a single individual or as a team with two or more members. Companies (e.g. a startup) can enter the contest if it is a company-wide decision. Hence, the term “participant” used in texts covers all involved individuals/entities. One person must be chosen to register and handle all contact during the contest.
It is possible to participate in multiple categories with different projects. It is also possible to participate in multiple categories with the same project adapted to fulfill the criteria of each category. However, a registration fee is required for each entered category.
If entering a single category with multiple projects, a separate complete registration is needed for each project.
THIS CATEGORY WILL OPEN THIS AUTUMN