3. Nature experience
Develop the best interactive 3D nature experience in virtual reality within an area of 2 x 2 meters.
Guidelines / Rules
- Create a 3D VR experience for a play area of 2 x 2 meters. If the viewer will stand, sit or move around is up to the developer.
- The nature can be completely realistic regarding style and species. However, it can also be merely inspired by nature, i.e., it need not to be realistic flora and fauna.
- The locality is free: land, water, air…
- Sound must be well integrated into the experience.
- There must be a measure of interaction and feedback, how much is up to the developer/s. (Example: touching a virtual object makes it fall, motion over the surface triggers things.) Incorporating a gaming and/or educational aspect is allowed, but in no way required.
- The experience must last at least 2 minutes.
- The complete nature experience must be made easily available to the jury through a stable link for downloading.
- One of the following storage services must be used: Dropbox, The Box, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive.
- The link, provided by the participant, shall provide access to a downloadable folder named after the contest category. If multiple projects, then a separate folder for each project. The folder/s must contain:
- The total project ready to run on the recommended platform.
- If needed (and not present in the experience) a program manual must be provided in PDF or Word format.
- A text file (PDF or Word) with contact information. If a team, then the names of all team members must be listed.
- The text file must also clearly state the title of the VR nature experience application (a reasonably short title is preferable).
- The participant must state the recommended VR equipment to use and ensure that it runs smoothly on the device.
One of the following VR equipment must be used:
– HTC Vive
– Oculus Rift
NOTE: Useful links regarding technical aspects can be found at: DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES
- It is the participant’s sole responsibility to ensure that nothing in the finished product (or any step in the creation process, use of software, etc.) violates copyright or licensing laws in any way. The rights to all materials (including, if applicable, the involvement of people) must be owned by the participant and be guaranteed free to use and publish.
For more important contest info, read: CONTEST INFO
The jury’s judging criteria
(Choice of technical platform will not affect the jury’s assessment).
How immersive, visual and captivating is the nature experience?
Innovative and creative approach
Originality, design, world-building, the use of the possibilities/advantages of the VR media etc. How original is its use? How motivated and naturally integrated into the experience is interaction and feedback? How does it enhance the environment/experience?
How well could the program/experience potentially be scaled up and further developed?
The impact on the viewer
What is the overall experience, which emotions does it evoke? How has the play surface been utilized in the experience? How well do all aspects of the experience work together: sights, sounds, interaction, feedback, events in the environment? Etc.
Deadlines & Registration fees:
Early Deadline - August 15th - Expired 20 US$
Regular Deadline - October 15th - Expired 25 US$
Final Deadline - December 15th, 2021 35 US$
It is possible to participate in the contest as a single individual or as a team with two or more members. Companies (e.g. a startup) can enter the contest if it is a company-wide decision. Hence, the term “participant” used in texts covers all involved individuals/entities. One person must be chosen to register and handle all contact during the contest.
It is possible to participate in multiple categories with different projects. It is also possible to participate in multiple categories with the same project adapted to fulfill the criteria of each category. However, a registration fee is required for each entered category.
If entering a single category with multiple projects, a separate complete registration is needed for each project.